As any bread baker knows, there are four fundamental ingredients to any loaf: flour, yeast, water, and salt. Software delivery, like a great loaf of bread, requires a solid structure to ensure that what comes out of the oven tastes good every time. And good software is not just about a nice-looking package; it has to be secure as well. This series focuses on the four key ingredients needed to bake security and compliance into your software delivery processes.
Let’s start with Ingredient 1:
Shift compliance and security concerns left in the delivery pipeline
Shifting compliance and security concerns left in the enterprise software delivery pipeline means putting processes in place to identify, fix, and prevent security problems and compliance violations as early as possible in the development lifecycle. By integrating automated security checks that start in Development and continue all the way through Production, you can ensure that your code is always safe, from the first commit to the release. Shifting left involves:
- Requiring developers to include security and compliance checks in their build processes.
- Using tools for application security monitoring and static code analysis to ensure that security testing happens continuously throughout the software development lifecycle.
- Building in time for Development teams to fix negative security and compliance findings before pushing changes to higher environments.
- Bringing Development and Operations teams together to collaborate on testing strategies and fixes for security and compliance issues.
- Establishing a reporting process that is easy for Audit and Compliance teams to use, so they have a seat at the DevOps table. And including these teams in the software delivery process from the start.
XebiaLabs offers the world’s only release audit report. Push the button. Get the report. You’re done.
Get a full release audit report in spreadsheet format, on demand, that covers your end-to-end software delivery pipeline. See everything that happened throughout the release, across tools, all in one place. With the push of one button, any team member can prove what happened for each and every release. Read about it here.
We’ll be covering the remaining ingredients in upcoming blog posts. Or you can read about them all right now by downloading the white paper below.
- How to Take the Fear out of Software Audits
- Get Automated Compliance and Hands-Free Governance with XebiaLabs’ Software Chain of Custody Reporting Capabilities
- Software Chain of Custody: Collect. Visualize. Report. Prove